How to tell if your ear is blocked with earwax
You can have:
- difficulty hearing
- an ear infection
- sounds such as high-pitched tones coming from inside the ear (tinnitus)
Causes of earwax
You might have earwax build-up because:
- you just have more wax in your ears – some people do naturally
- you have hairy or narrow canals (the tubes that link the eardrum and outer ear)
- of your age – wax gets harder and more difficult to fall out
- of hearing aids, earplugs and other things you put in your ear – these can push the wax further in
Preventing earwax build-up
You can’t prevent earwax. It’s there to protect your ears from dirt and germs.
However, you can keep using olive oil or an olive oil spray such as Earol to soften the wax. We recommend you do this once a month to help keep your ears clear. This may help the wax fall out on its own and should prevent blocked ears.
The cost of a wax removal appointment:
£80.00 – In clinic consultation and wax removal
£150.00 – Home visit consultation and wax removal (within 5 mile radius of clinic locations).
£30.00 – Additional Call-out charge for home visit wax removal 5-10 mile radius from clinic.
£50.00 – Additional Call-out charge for home visit wax removal 10-20 mile radius from clinic.
If an in-clinic appointment is booked but wax removal is not required, there will be a £30.00 consultation fee.
If an additional appointment in clinic is required due to impacted wax, there will be a £30.00 appointment fee for each consecutive consultation (payable at time of booking). For home visits, additional appointments are £100 (payable at time of booking).
If an appointment is booked but not attended without notification of a cancellation, there will be a £30.00 charge.
If you need to book an appointment for microsuction wax removal, click here or call 01206 823602